Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emotional Reunion

Oh my God, is that him? I paced faster toward a graying-haired man sitting in between two cousins. Still he didn't notice my approach even after I exchanged hi-good-to-see-yous with the two cousins. Probably he was so engaged in watching the band playing, or it was just the aging blunting his alertness to his surrounding, I thought. Took his hand and I kissed it, tears threatened a great downpour. Guess I took him by surprise, he stared at me with startled and confused eyes. As a sign of recognition slowly creeping over his face, he pulled me close and kissed my forehead. I hugged him hard, grateful he remembered, and gave in to the threat, tears rolled down my cheeks.

God, look how well the time's worked on you uncle S. And damn I miss uncle U so much. You remind me so much of him. You remind me so much of my perfect childhood. You and him, and so many others. You, my fathers, spoiled me dearly that it aches each time you come to mind. I have learned well to disengaged myself from so many things in life in the past few years, but I've failed to let you go, fathers. I kept my eyes even more tightly and sobbed harder when i felt a gentle caress on my head. Afraid to meet the gazes that were devouring on the show. Heck, as if I care. Bravely opened my eyes, despite the feeling of being greatly taunted by the crowd. Instead i was met with reassuring smiles of the many i knew from my younger years, and among them I spotted the other fathers approaching, eyes glistened. Man, how much I've grown, how much they've aged...

No comments: